Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dream of your perfect neighborhood

I think one of the more important things in finding your new home is often missed in the search process.

The neighborhood.

Every morning I start my coffee.  Yes, fresh ground beans. The next thing I do is open the blinds to my office windows, 5’ X 9’. Less for letting the sun in and more for me to look out and see all that is around me. Right out my window is 50 feet of grass at a slight upslope, the road, and then the woods that boarder our neighborhood. Out of the two edges I can see homes on either side. We live on ~0.75 acres. Enough for Savannah, my puppy, and I to run and play and to have a few trees. Next to us is a large fenced in area where our neighbors keep their horses, which I watch while making my coffee. This is what I want out of a neighborhood. I speak to each of my neighbors, we know each other by name, they know when I’m home and when I’m not and I the same for them. We live in an un-incorporated area which means that Savannah, and all the other dogs here don’t have to wear a leash. I know all of them and they all know Savannah.

I see many couples that ask about the schools, the shopping, the traffic, and so on. But, seldom do they truly want to know about the neighborhood. The next house you go visit sit down on the front porch or back patio (even better sit down on both). Is that what you want to look out and see from your new home?

No comments:

Post a Comment